Can AI-Translation Convey The Actual Meaning OF Metaphors?
- A metaphor is a figure of speech that implicitly compares two unrelated things.
- Metaphors can be used to create vivid imagery, exaggerate a characteristic or action, or express a complex idea. They are commonly used in literature, advertising, and everyday speech
- The Conceptual Metaphor Theory (CMT) states that metaphor is a cognitive process that is reflected in language structures.
- According to this theory, conceptual metaphor represents the interaction of two cognitive structures (or domains): the source domain and the targt domain.
- The target domain is structured similarly to the source domain through metaphorical mappings that are established between them.
- Conceptual metaphor is expressed both by verbal and non-verbal means – arts, music, gestures, etc.
- This poses the question of whether or not AI is able to understand metaphors.
- To understand this matter better, a human-composed text filled with conventional metaphoors was presented to CHATGPT and DeepL.
- The same text was input twice to better identify whether or not the software can identify metaphors and convey their message accordingly into target languages.
- CHATGPT Resutlts: The first time the text was put into the software, the AI program translated metaphorsword-to-word without being able to convey their actual meaning.
- The second time the text was input, AI was able to identify them as metaphors but was not able to convey their actual meaning.
- DeepL Results: The same metaphors were presented to DeepL. The program failed to find a corresponding metaphor in the target language as well.
- Conclusion: Metaphors are a huge part of our daily day lives and shape our understanding of our surroundings.
- Even the most advanced self-learning software such as ChatPT and DeepL struggle to identify the corresponding meaning of even the most conventional metaphors.
- AI still has long way to go before fully being able to capture the meaning and essence of metaphorical language.
- Clearly, at present, only humans can understand the nuances of language, especially metaphors.
About Language Connections:
Language Connections is one of the top language service companies in the US. Over the last 30 years, we’ve focused on providing the best business translation services, interpreting services, as well as interpreter training and customized language training programs. In addition to top-tier corporate language training, we offer certified corporate interpreters and professional business translation services in 200+ languages. Our network includes linguists with backgrounds in all major industries. They’re ready to meet your needs, whether they’re for technical translation services, legal translation, government translation services, international development translation services, education translation services, life sciences translation, or something else. Reach out to us today for a free quote on our cost-efficient and timely translation services, interpreters, or other linguistic services.
Language Connections Inc.
2001 Beacon Street, Suite 105,
Boston, MA 02135