How Language Training
Affects The Brain
- The analysis of functional MRI brain scans has allowed scientists to understand how different languages and language training are processed in the brain.
- Recent Swedish MRI studies show that languages have different effects on brain activity.
- For example, native Japanese speakers cannot easily hear the difference between the English “r” and “l” sounds, making it difficult to distinguish words like “river” and “liver”.
- This is because, unlike English, Japanese does not distinguish between “r” and “l” as distinct sounds.
- When presented with English words containing either of these sounds, brain imaging studies show that only a single region of a Japanese speaker’s brain is activated.
- For English speakers, brain scans show two different areas of activation, one for each sound.
- Luckily, by using a software program that exaggerates the aspects of each sound, Japanese speakers can learn to hear the difference between “r” and “l”.
- When the sounds are modified and extended by the software, participants are more easily able to hear the difference between the sounds.
- This sort of research might eventually lead to advances in the use of technology for second language training.
- Science also demonstrates that learning a second language is beneficial to brain health.
- Compared to those who are monolingual, people who speak more than one language have better memories, are more cognitively creative, and have greater mental flexibility.
- Canadian studies also suggest that Alzheimer’s disease is diagnosed later for bilingual People, suggesting that knowing a second language can help humans stay cognitively healthy into their later years.
About Language Connections:
Language Connections is one of the top language service companies in the US. Over the last 30 years, we’ve focused on providing the best business translation services, interpreting services, as well as interpreter training and customized language training programs. In addition to top-tier corporate language training, we offer certified corporate interpreters and professional business translation services in 200+ languages. Our network includes linguists with backgrounds in all major industries. They’re ready to meet your needs, whether they’re for technical translation services, legal translation, government translation services, international development translation services, education translation services, life sciences translation, or something else. Reach out to us today for a free quote on our cost-efficient and timely translation services, interpreters, or other linguistic services.
Language Connections Inc.
2001 Beacon Street, Suite 105,
Boston, MA 02135